BiGAUSTIN is seeking current college students, current graduate students, or recent college graduates in the Austin area to fill three internship positions for the fall semester. The interns will provide a wide range of marketing, outreach, business development, research, and general support to the BiGAUSTIN team. In return, BiGAUSTIN will provide an opportunity for the interns to gain experience in and familiarity with areas such as fundraising, small business development, micro-finance, program development, and the day-to-day operations of a nonprofit organization. Interns will also have opportunities to attend and network at BiGAUSTIN events. These positions will report to the Business Development Coordinator and the Chief Brand & Culture Officer.
Communications & Development Intern (Sophomore standing or higher)
The ideal Communications & Development candidate will be particularly adept at writing and editing, marketing, and utilizing the Internet and social media for strategic messaging. He/she should also be familiar with basic HTML, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc.) and Adobe Photoshop.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assist staff in entering data into BiGAUSTIN’s databases
- Conduct research on and correspond with potential donors, markets, and industries
- Identify funding opportunities (e.g. grants, sponsorships, etc.)
- Manage social media accounts and the BiGAUSTIN blog
- Develop promotional materials for classes, events and programs
- Draft correspondence, reports, proposals and donor appeals
- Assist staff in planning donor events and other activities
- Maintain donor files and other development materials
- Attend department and staff meetings
- Assist with special projects as needed
Women’s Initiatives Intern (Graduate student or recent graduate)
The ideal Women’s Initiatives candidate will possess a robust understanding of microfinance, women’s issues and the obstacles they face when starting small businesses, and have a passion for helping women entrepreneurs overcome these obstacles through outreach, advocacy, and educational programming.
Business Development Intern (Business, finance, and accounting majors preferred)
The ideal Business Development candidate will possess a robust understanding of the mechanics of small business and entrepreneurial culture. He/she should also possess a profound passion for helping underserved entrepreneurs develop their ideas and launch successful, thriving businesses in Central Texas. The candidate should also be skilled at performing market research and cultivating and managing long-term partnerships within the private and public sectors.
- Assist education team with course design, development, monitoring, and administration
- Assist consulting staff with advising new and established entrepreneurs on growing their businesses
- Assist staff with evaluation and implementation of organizational strategic plan
- Identify and evaluate specific growth opportunities for BiGAUSTIN
- Assist with other projects as needed
How to Apply
To apply for the position, please submit a cover letter, résumé, and one-page writing sample by email to elizabeth (@) bigaustin.org (please select one position and put “Communications & Development Intern”, “Women’s Initiatives Intern”, or “Business Development Intern” in the subject line), or fax the information to 512-926-2997 by August 10, 2015. Candidates are encouraged to submit applications as early as possible. No phone calls, please.
Please visit our website at www.bigaustin.org to learn more.
Business Investment Growth (BiGAUSTIN) is an equal opportunity employer.